Thursday, February 24, 2011

Review: Mr. Cavendish, I Presume

Book Details:






Author: Julia Quinn


Publisher: Harpercollins


Book Summary:


In this follow-up to "The Lost Duke of Wyndham," Thomas Cavendish's world is rocked by the arrival of a long-lost cousin, who may or may not be the true Duke of Wyndham. Original.


Amelia Willoughby has been engaged to the Duke of Wyndham for as long as she can remember. Literally. A mere six months old when the contracts were signed, she has spent the rest of her life waiting. And waiting. And waiting . . . for Thomas Cavendish, the oh-so-lofty duke, to "finally" get around to marrying her. But as she watches him from afar, she has a sneaking suspicion that he never thinks about her at all . . .


It's true. He doesn't. Thomas rather likes "having" a fiancée--all the better to keep the husband-hunters at bay--and he "does" intend to marry her . . . eventually. But just when he begins to realize that his bride might be something more than convenient, Thomas's world is rocked by the arrival of his long-lost cousin, who may or may not be the true Duke of Wyndham. And if Thomas is not the duke, then he's not engaged to Amelia. Which is the cruelest joke of all, because this arrogant and illustrious duke has made the mistake of falling in love . . . with his own fiancée


Review: This is the second book of the Duke of Wyndhams series and it is narrated from the point of view of Thomas, the first (original) duke of Wyndham. In my previous review, I had said that I was looking forward to reading this one. Well, it didn’t quite meet my expectations. I usually like to have a gap between reading books in series and I must say that I am thankful I did that for this one. If I had read it back to back, I would have found it terribly boring. The problem with the book is that it is just a different perspective to the same story, it does not take the story forward. It feels nice to have one or two same scenes explained from another perspective, not a whole book! It is like reading a book after you have seen the movie, you already know everything!


The hero does not live up to the promise of the last book, in the first book he seemed mysterious and interesting but, in this one he seems bland and slightly boring. For a Duke, he does not seem very powerful or interesting. The story suffers from a microscopic vision as it focuses only on one aspect, more importantly, one week or so in the life of the characters. This does not really bring the characters to life. Amelia, the heroine is shown to have transformed from a girl who does what she is told, to one who discovers that she also has an opinion. But, why now? What was she doing all these years? Also, Thomas is very predictable, the poor little rich boy, who had everything, but was missing the most important thing, freedom! Well dude, or should I say duke, who stopped you from doing exactly as you pleased??


All in all it was OK. Read it if like me you feel that you cannot leave a series halfway.


I rate it 3/5, mainly because in essence I ended up reading practically the entire book again. I read this as a part of my 100 e-books Challenge, Historical Romance ChallengeHistorical Fiction Challenge and 100+ Books in a Year Challenge


Rating: 3/5

No comments: